Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner atver's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2007
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    I can remember the coke ovens lighting up the sky beyond Appalachia. My parents used to tell us that people would find pairs of shoes sitting in front of them. meaning someone was missing or what ever. Does anyone have any old folk lure about the coke ovens like that?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    I rekon my grandmother's brother fell into one while working
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I rekon my grandmother's brother fell into one while working
    Dang. I take it he didnt survive?
    GO VOLS

  4. #4
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    Can remember a Dalton man who was supposed to have fallen into one. Probably in the 60's.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    I wonder what they did when someone would fall in. They couldn't just put them out could they?
    GO VOLS

  6. #6
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    If I remember correctly, after determining that he probably fell in, they had to shut the oven down. Nothing left but ashes. I worked a couple of weeks at Pine Branch back in the mid 60's. A bunch of young college guys we were then. Westmoreland had purchased some coal from Brazil and we had to mix so many parts of Pine Branch Coal with the Brazilian Coal and it was then fired in an expermental oven to see if it would produce quality Coke. Evidently it didn't. The coal from Brazil was very poor quality. Also have riden the Mud Car down the Tracks in front of the Ovens. They had to keep the Ovens Mudded Up every so often. The Mud was Mortar, but it sure was a hot job.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    I never imagined coal would have been imported form another country around here.
    GO VOLS

  8. #8
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    It was an experiment. The oven they used to experiment was larger than the other ones. They used a "pusher" to get the coke out of the oven. It really was an educational experience. Of course being paid the sum of $1.40 and hour it didn't seem like it at the time. Spent the rest of the summer cutting right of ways for Westmoreland.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_blue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2002
    Posts
    893
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    I see those ovens about every time I ride my dirt bike...theyre still in decent shape actually none of them have fell in or anything

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Coal Camp Coke Ovens

    What is the process for making coke anyways? Do they have to add anything to it?
    GO VOLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •